Re: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:44:59 -0700

On Aug 10, 10:32 am, trub3101 <mich..._at_bassline01.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Guru's
>
> Desperately in need of your advice on this one. I am getting the
> standard ORA-01031:
>
> SQL> conn s..._at_preview.rtdb0 as sysdba
> Enter password:
> ERROR:
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>
> I have created the password file - orapwd file=orapw$ORACLE_SID
> password=********* entries=5
>
> My password file then looks like this:
>
> more orapwPREVIEW
> Z[\]
> ORACLE Remote Password fileNTERNA36BC44C6FAFB4248SYS456E73733F6460B1
>
> I am pretty sure that the $ORACLE_SID (in this instance PREVIEW)
> should appear in the password file just before the encrypted code.
> Would this be because I cannot find the a pfile or spfile anyway on
> the server?
>
> I am not entirely sure how this database was created without either an
> pfile or spfile. Hopefully someone might be able to throw some light
> on this matter.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Simply because you can't find the pfile doesn't mean one doesn't exist. And likely your problem becomes one of parameter settings, as remote_login_passwordfile is set to NONE, not SHARED or EXCLUSIVE.

You might try looking in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/pfile for the init$ORACLE_SID.ora file; a symbolic link may also exist in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs, as may your spfile. I believe that once you find the pfile or spfile you'll find I'm correct with regard to the remote_login_passwordfile setting.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Aug 10 2007 - 10:44:59 CDT