Re: oracle and tivoli storage manager

From: Digeratus 2006 <digeratus2006_at_nospam.hotmaildotcom>
Date: 09 Aug 2007 01:58:47 GMT

batso <batsonmr_at_gmail.com> wrote in news:1186584731.108337.75240 @r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

> We run 11.5.10.2 EBS. Running on oracle 10.2.0.2 We currently do not
> use rman for backups. We back up the system using TSM daily with the
> system down. We don't have to have 100% up time. We have archivelog
> turned on. We keep 365 days worth of these incremental backups. We
> do a selective full backup every 30 days.
>
> Is there any reason to do a selective full backup ever using TSM? My
> system admin is proposing to do away with any selective "full" backups
> because according to him tsm is not designed to work that way. I just
> want to make sure I'm not missing something. Could we lose files that
> have NOT been changed in more than 365 days? Or any other issues that
> might arise by not taking and keeping a "full" backup.

I set up RMAN and TSM for our Oracle backups. I had long philosophical discussions with our sysadmin about what our retention policy would be so I got to know a little about TSM.

A TSM incremental backup is a full copy of any file that has changed. You are doing a full backup of your database on a daily basis with a 365 day retention in TSM. This should be adequate for anything except for legal documents that need to be kept for longer than a year (taxes?).

HTH
Andy Young Received on Wed Aug 08 2007 - 20:58:47 CDT