Re: EXP Parameters to take backup of 110 GB database

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 10:53:03 -0700

On Aug 5, 11:29 pm, hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2:54 pm, Jitendra <jpsingh1..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 3, 2:13 pm, Jitendra <jpsingh1..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi All,
>
> > > I have to take backup of 110GB Database. I have taken physical backup
> > > on tape, now I want to take Logical backup of whole database.
>
> > > What parameters should I use in EXP command (Using 9i Exp) ?
>
> > > Thanks and Regards,
> > > Jitendra
>
> > Hi All,
>
> > Thanks for your reply.
> > I have successfully exported the database without any warnings.
> > Dump file is 35 GB ......... :)
>
> For future reference, here's the parameters I use to take a full
> export of an 80GB 10g database (and because it might have to be used
> with 9i instances, we use exp not export datapump)
>
> exp sys/xxxx full=y file=expdb.dmp buffer=2000000000 compress=n
> log=exportdb.log direct=y
>
> Regards
> HJR
The 9i docs say the buffer parameter has no effect on direct exports. Do you know different? (Not being sarcastic, since so many parameters have odd effects with some datatypes). My understanding from testing long ago on hp-ux was the max buffering for direct was setting recordsize to 65535, with platform specific differences.

Since direct uses the PGA, I'm wondering if there may be some PGA tuning to be done, but I've never looked into that, since PGA effects are usually more visible during heavy production usage.

Lots of direct info in metalink Note:155477.1, including some interesting bugs.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/18117