Re: Database Recovery Question

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 08:23:25 +0200

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 22:56:22 GMT, "Dereck L. Dietz" <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net> wrote:

>4. Will it be possible for me to shutdown the current DES instance, copy the
>database files, control and redo log files along with the init.ora and
>spfile and then restart the new DES instance and have it recognize the
>"new" datafiles? Will just copying the ora.init file suffice or would I
>have to rename my old one to the new one's name?

For someone who has been posting for quite some time here, this question is amazing.
First of all, you should by now, at least have read up on recovery, and avoid asking RTFM questions.
Secondly, you have right now two options: 1 with or without RTFM explain to yourself why this is not going to work. If you can, you have understand basic Oracle architecture. If you can't, you now know even after several years your knowledge of Oracle leaves much to be desired.

BTW: Was prior to your 'Recovery' the database shutdown cleanly? If it wasn't, why do you even *think* of this procedure? You need to recover the database using a RMAN backup. PERIOD.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA