Re: Database Recovery Question

From: Helma <bad_elefant_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 01:18:49 -0700

> <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:

> >4. Will it be possible for me to shutdown the current DES instance, copy the
> >database files, control and redo log files along with the init.ora and
> >spfile and then restart the new DES instance and have it recognize the
> >"new" datafiles? Will just copying the ora.init file suffice or would I
> >have to rename my old one to the new one's name?

I never tried it myself, but you can create a seed template with the DB config assistent.

" If this IS possible it would also be a good exercise for me. But before I start something that can't be done I just thought I'd post here to see if it can be done "

For educational purposes, just experimenting is a good way to go. Just do it an see what problems you encounter, and create a logfile of your actions and observations. ( for later review and for undoing your own actions) Reading the chapters on "user managed backups" before experimenting helps avoiding a catastrophic success.

H. Received on Sun Aug 05 2007 - 03:18:49 CDT