Re: Pivot Query Question

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:50:45 -0700

On Aug 3, 10:25 am, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net> wrote:
> All.. I must admit I am very behind the whole Analytical Query
> revolution.

There's a simple way to get in front of it. Analytics are simply moving old Cobol control-break concepts into the sql engine, increasing performance by removing context switches and pigeonholing the non-relational queries into a small predictable set. I suspect at some point of complexity the gains will be overridden by the reality of trying to minimize the impact of the non-relational parts, and the current rule-of-thumb of doing anything you can in SQL rather than PL will get, um, hammered. I don't know if anyone has explored those limits yet.

Then again, I don't know much about analytics, since my users use their own packaged stuff and most of my development isn't in sql.

See http://www.gplivna.eu/papers/using_analytic_functions_in_reports.htm and http://www.orafaq.com/node/1874

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
|LEGEND truck | '|""";.., ___.

ONCE YOU'VE BEEN HIT, YOU HAVE TO HIT 8 PEOPLE WHO ARE TOTAL LEGENDS
(by copying&pasting this entire comment). IF YOU GET HIT AGAIN YOU'LL
KNOW YOU'RE A TOTAL LEGEND!