Re: UNDO Tablespace, and how NOT to use

From: Anurag Varma <avoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 08:42:58 -0700

On Aug 3, 9:39 am, Guy Taylor <twopotsa..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought the book this AM.
>
> I know the UNDO tablespace filling up is a problem because the Oracle
> DBA insists it is. If there is no downside to this tablespace filling
> up, then I have been mislead. Perhaps my terminology is wrong
> regarding the "temporary" table. I create a table in the schema's
> tablespace, run queries against it, and then drop it when I am done.
> Thus, perhaps it is not a "temporary table" as defined in the
> literature.
>
> Regardless, I hope the chapter about the UNDO tablespace in the book
> can illustrate how to construct queries, or form transactions, that do
> not leverage the UNDO tablespace. This should keep my DBA from adding
> gigs and gigs of space to the tablespace.
>
> Also, thanks for all the responses. They were very helpful.

Ask your DBA to explain clearly why undo tablespace filling up is a problem?
For example if you are running 10GR2 and have a fixed sized undo tablespace,
then oracle automatically (by default setting) tries using up 85% of space.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/undo.htm#sthref1484

As such, undo filling up is not usually an issue unless you are encountering
out of space issues ... and/or ORA-1555's...

Anurag Received on Fri Aug 03 2007 - 10:42:58 CDT