Re: UNDO Tablespace, and how NOT to use

From: Guy Taylor <twopotsaday_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 13:39:07 -0000

I bought the book this AM.

I know the UNDO tablespace filling up is a problem because the Oracle DBA insists it is. If there is no downside to this tablespace filling up, then I have been mislead. Perhaps my terminology is wrong regarding the "temporary" table. I create a table in the schema's tablespace, run queries against it, and then drop it when I am done. Thus, perhaps it is not a "temporary table" as defined in the literature.

Regardless, I hope the chapter about the UNDO tablespace in the book can illustrate how to construct queries, or form transactions, that do not leverage the UNDO tablespace. This should keep my DBA from adding gigs and gigs of space to the tablespace.

Also, thanks for all the responses. They were very helpful. Received on Fri Aug 03 2007 - 08:39:07 CDT