Re: file permission problem - 10g client on solaris

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:04:31 +0200

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 07:58:35 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>There is no reason anyone anyone other than the unix user oracle should
>be directly accessing executables on the server unless the object is to
>compromise system security and render any reasonable interpretation of
>auditing moot.

Actually it is just the opposite. Forcing Unix users to use oracle or to su to oracle poses a security risk. We had an issue once where 'someone' deleted the passwordfile and the init.ora of several databases. Only the unix user oracle could access the database. *Everyone* knew the password.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA