Re: oracle query questions

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:35:03 +0200

Comments embedded
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:39:38 GMT, "Paul Linehan" <plinehan__A_at_T__yahoo__D.OT__COM> wrote:

>DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> I read your opinion and respectfully disagree.
>

>I read yours to the OP and (respectfully) disagree
>with the approach you took.
>
>You wrote (amongst the thought-provoking SQL questions,
> - part of your course?):
>
>> Why would anyone learn an obsolete product?
>

>Maybe this person has no choice? If the OP wants to
>learn SQL, then there are many free and Open Source
>products which will go a *_long_* *_long_* way to
>teaching somebody SQL.

Oracle 10g XE is completely free. Objection waived.

>> SQL is not generic. What works in Oracle, especially 8i, will not
>> work in other products and is nearly worthless. No one learns RDBMS
>> or SQL as a hobby ... it is learned withing the context of being a
>> job skill.
>

>Or a university course? I would argue that if somebody
>wants to learn SQL, then Oracle is not a good system,
>all this (+) rubbish for outer joins for a start.

Wrong again. INNER JOIN, OUTER JOIN, LEFT OUTER JOIN and other crap turn any ordinary SQL statement in an unreadabl;e mess.

>> If it takes equal effort to learn 10gR2 or 8i then learning 8i is
>> of no value. Would you teach someone rub sticks together who was
>> trying to learn how to start a backyard BBQ?
>

>But we don't know that 10gR2 is as easy, do we? Maybe
>downloading the latest version of Firebird or PostgreSQL
>(both under 15MB) could be as good as any Oracle release,
>and also conform better to standard SQL, which for a job
>would be better - no?

If you look at marketshare Oracle is much more a standard compared to any toy product you will ever promote here. For a job you should either learn (God forbid) Sqlserver, DB2 or Oracle, the other 'databases' will be obsolete soon.

>Anyway, I'm not giving out here, I'm just saying that
>maybe there are better things to be saying than just
>"upgrade to Oracle XXRyy". Maybe looking at other
>RDBMS's might be better suited to the OP's needs?

Why? Do these other products actually support technologies which are being used in corporate IT? Or do you promote Corporate IT should downscale to the level of a hobby shack?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA