Re: oracle query questions

From: Paul Linehan <plinehan__A_at_T__yahoo__D.OT__COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:16:05 GMT

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> > But we don't know that 10gR2 is as easy, do we? Maybe
> > downloading the latest version of Firebird or PostgreSQL
> > (both under 15MB) could be as good as any Oracle release,
> > and also conform better to standard SQL, which for a job
> > would be better - no?

> If you look at marketshare Oracle is much more a standard compared to
> any toy product you will ever promote here.
> For a job you should either learn (God forbid) Sqlserver, DB2 or
> Oracle, the other 'databases' will be obsolete soon.

Here I have to disagree - the other 'databases' (why the quotes?) have their own place in the market - maybe for those who don't want to use 1GB (for Oracle XE alone) for their db server - compare this to a full install of Firebird of 14 MB, which is a very competent database product (the SAS Institute one of the world's leading BI vendors are planning to use it as a basis for their products)

http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&page=fb_conf_speakers

Furthermore, I am not "promoting" anything - I am just pointing out that maybe there are other solutions than having to download 600 MB to learn SQL, when there are sophisticated systems which allow one to do this in 5 MB or less.

And finally, your use of the word "toy" is merely a reflection of your own biases and not on any failings of other non-Oracle db products.

Paul...   Received on Thu Jul 26 2007 - 08:16:05 CDT