Re: continuation...

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:32:53 -0500

>> Not to mention mission-critical systems that require near 100% uptime.
>
> No one is more sensitive to that than Amazon.com.
>
> Want to guess what they're running on their production systems?
>
> How about the line of business applications at every mobile phone company
> in the region: AT&T, T-Mobile, AllTel, Verizon, ClearWire?
>
> How about the line of business applications at banks like Washington
> Mutual; one of the largest in the US?

And what percentage of 10g are these companies running? I hope you have done a survey internally. I have worked for some large companies. Even the DBAs don't know where all the databases are.

> Why is it some people here are getting their knickers in a twist and
> yet these large organizations, with serious 7x24x365 requirements, are
> not dropping like flies?
>
> And no it is not that they are lucky. They aren't buying it, and they
> are not upgrading to 10gR2 because they are being bullied by some guy
> with a $200 haircut. Nor would their CTO's risk their careers if the
> systems were failing.

If there are business needs, nothing can really stop a company from upgrading. Technologies are there to support businesses. Some may think the other way around. Not just CTOs, many people would be risking theirs jobs, if they don't carefully consider the business impacts.

> When you look around and ships aren't falling off the edge of the earth
> you conclude that your premise that the earth is flat is wrong. When
> you look around and see the largest most important organizations on the
> planet running their line-of-business applications on 10g you should
> conclude that they too are not falling off the edge of the earth.

Sure, every large company has 10g running somewhere, but it is not just as simple as upgrading Oracle. There are issues like coordinating with users, application testing, bug fixing, downtime scheduling, and so on. It can take 6 months to upgrade just one application. Think about 50 applications.

We do not upgrade just to be on the lastest. There has to be sufficient business reasons. Received on Tue Jul 17 2007 - 23:32:53 CDT