Re: RMAN(10gR2) connection Question

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:55:21 -0700

On Jul 16, 2:06 pm, "domin..._at_gmail.com" <domin..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry I have a "dumb" RMAN question.
> I am very confused.
>
> I have db100 (primary) and db100dg(standby).
> I am not using catalog db. I am using nocatalog for now.
> (later on, I might change).
>
> I am trying to do backup on db100dg side.
> I login to the standby side and take the standby out of recovery mode
> and
> then do backup , it is fine.
> And I in my last step, I want to backup the controlfile from the
> primary side and I want to login to primary side.
> ORACLE_SID=db100dg(it is set correctly).
>
> I try to do the following command:
>
> rman target rman/rman-password_at_db100_primary_db nocatalog;
>
> Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Mon Jul 16
> 15:49:53 2007
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.
>
> RMAN-00571:
> RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS
> ===============
> RMAN-00571:
> RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
> RMAN-04005: error from target database:
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>
> I have created a "RMAN" user on the primary side, ( I grant dba ,
> rman_catalog_owner permission to RMAN user )
> and give the password: "rman-password" on the primary side.
>
> The reason I try to connect from the db100dg side, is
> I want to connect to the primary side and then I could create a
> controlfile
> for backup.
>
> Any idea/suggestions are welcome.
> Sorry, I am just very very confused.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dominica

I don't really know, but I'll hazard a guess that you are using a special standby database controlfile on the db100dg side and RMAN isn't giving a helpful error about that. Perhaps you have to be able to write to the controlfile to do this. I'm not sure I understand why you don't just connect to the primary. Are they on the same machine? Perhaps it is telling you you really don't have access to the controlfile.

(I'm awaiting repairs to my standby storage, sighhhhh...)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.jaedworks.com/shoebox/zumabot.html