Re: Minimizing backup induced downtime

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:48:53 +0200

ยท sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:26:34 +0200, Alexander Skwar
> <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name> wrote:
>

>>Fine. How would you go about making sure that the directory and
>>the Oracle db are consistent?

> Get rid of the directory and store it in the database.

Impossible. I'm certainly not going to rewrite the whole application and I'm also certainly not going to throw away the application. Furthermore, it would not be me who would get rid of the directory. It would need to be Siemens/UGS. I very highly doubt, that they are going to change such a deep fundamental. For sure not, because I would like this to be done. I (or the company I work for) isn't that big - doesn't pay them that much money.

And no, I don't think that they'll do the re-writing for free because of a bug report. I even doubt, that they'd accept that report as a PR (problem report) in the first place.

Any other ideas? Maybe more realistic ones?

Just to clarify: Yes, I agree that it might be better to not have that directory or to have that directory at least be controlled by Oracle. But that's simply not the way it is. At least not now. And even if they'd change that, they'd certainly take quite some time to implement that change. So, until that change actually IS implemented, I'd really like to have a solution. Right now, I DO have a solution; a solution which is based on shell scripts, filesystem snapshots and cold backups. Works pretty well.

But you people, especially SB and DA, tell me, that this is crap, as I don't use RMAN. Maybe you could show, how the scenario I laid out can be solved with RMAN.

TIA, Alexander Skwar

--
We gave you an atomic bomb, what do you want, mermaids?
                -- I. I. Rabi to the Atomic Energy Commission