Re: Minimizing backup induced downtime

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:21:23 +0200

ยท Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>:

> You know ... after reading through the problem I have to say: Stick
> with you scripts!
> Since you need to shutdown the "system" anyway to make a backup AND
> you need your application data as well

Yep.

> I really see no point in
> complicating things with RMAN.

Some people say, that RMAN offers advantages. I came to this newsgroup, to find out if this is true. So far, I cannot see an advantage. I mean, I see advantages, if I wanted to do something simple as taking a backup of just Oracle.

> You already have a complete backup of
> your DB+App -- will there be any advantage to using RMAN except being
> insulted by Mr. SB for other reasons? :-P

I don't know about advantages. RMAN is supposedly better technology (which I don't doubt, as far as backups of "just" Oracle databases goes). And as I would like to offer a good service to my employer, I'm of course always after enhancing something (if it's broken *g*).

Hm, well, OTOH, right now nothing is broken, so maybe I really should not try to enhance/fix something, true to the motto "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!"

Now as far as SB and DA are concerned - I can stand the heat. It's not me, who's looking bad here ;) Or at least, it's not just me. As far as it's concerning me: I don't have a problem in admitting that I'm not the greatest DBA on earth. That's not even the main focus of my job.

Best regards,

Alexander Skwar

--
Admiration, n.:
        Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.