Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:50:20 -0700

On Jul 10, 9:02 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Steve Howard wrote:
> >> Let me prove it to you. You come to my lab and I'll set you up on a
> >> server. You use export or datapump to do whatever it is you think it
> >> is doing. I'll send you out of the room for five minutes and use vi
> >> to do a bit of damage. What are you willing to bet that you will be
> >> able to "restore and recover" with your export?
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> > LOL! I don't think I have to fly to Washington to test that. Why
> > don't you fly to Columbus and come to my "lab" (in my basement). You
> > can insert some rows into a table in a standard edition database and
> > then go upstairs and have some homemade cookies with my children.
>
> Because the purpose of BACKUPS, RESTORE and RECOVER is not to reverse
> DML statements. If you think it is you really need to retake DBA 101.
>
> The purpose of a backup is to handle issues such as lost or corrupt
> control files, log files, system datafiles, etc. An export will do
> none of these: Ever. Nor will an export ever be used to perform a
> single block restoration on an open database with connected users.

Daniel, if you are going to seriously revise things in the Oracle documentation, you'll need to do better.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/intro001.htm#sthref10

> BTW: The reason I wanted you to come out here is that I have a 7TB
> SAN. I wanted to watch you export 6.5TB of data <g> and our restaurants
> and weather are better this time of year.

You aren't having a heat wave? Jeez, weather reporting is getting worse and worse. We have Baja humidity just now in socal.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"BUSY DBA" - California vanity plate spotted in Irvine yesterday,