Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:46:21 -0700

Steve Howard wrote:

> I think we have too strict a definition of "backup" at times. We have
> used exp (and now datapump) to take a single table backup (yes, I
> think that term is appropriate) when mass data changes will be made
> to it and we want to be able to go back to it at that exact point in
> time (without worrying about having enough undo to flashback the
> table). We like the way the table looks, have taken into account any
> constraints, and a quick and dirty export allows us to put it back to
> that point with a minimum of fuss/muss.
>
> In that sense, yes, it is a backup for us.

I totally disagree.

What you did was move objects and data from point A to point B. That has essentially no relationship to the purposes served by taking a real backup.

Let me prove it to you. You come to my lab and I'll set you up on a server. You use export or datapump to do whatever it is you think it is doing. I'll send you out of the room for five minutes and use vi to do a bit of damage. What are you willing to bet that you will be able to "restore and recover" with your export?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington