Re: command line vs grid control

From: Noons <>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:26:57 -0700

On Jul 5, 12:08 am, DA Morgan <> wrote:

> repository with which to compare previous results. And if you are like
> 99% of all DBAs I know you will not submit your scripts to testing in
> an independent test environment to make sure they are sound. You will
> just throw them over the cubicle wall onto the production server and
> assume they work because you wrote them.

Isn't that what the grid developers did? Last time I looked they just landed that awr monstrosity on top of everyone and told them: pay for it, use it or else... When was the last review done? Thought so...

> The monitoring portion alone exceeds anything you are capable of writing.

And the other point is: is it needed?

> And the point of this exercise would be what? To save your employer
> money or to avoid learning something new?

Probably both. Might come as a shock to you but not everyone needs the level of monitoring supposedly available from awr and grid.

> > Is it still "You can not monitor a database using shell/perl scripts
> > any longer"?
> From my standpoint that is the case. Just as I would say that anyone
> using shell/perl scripts to perform a backup should be trained or
> terminated.

Here we go with the FUD bullshit!
Daniel, get real: no amount of bullying will convince an IT manager to fork out for the overblown greed+AWR stuff. Statspack and a few scripts cover the requirements of 90% of sites out there and the remaining can surely afford the product anyway. Or buy a third-party monitor that will achieve precisely the same for much less cost. Received on Sun Jul 08 2007 - 23:26:57 CDT

Original text of this message