Re: Career questions: databases

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:05:25 -0300

'69 Camaro wrote:

>>>Keith was gently pointing out that the word "English" is a proper noun.
>>>Proper nouns should always be capitalized, even if your name is e.e.
>>>cummings.  ;-)

>>Since english is neither a person nor a place nor an event, and since one
>>can limit it with modifiers like any and some as in "She speaks some
>>english, and he doesn't speak any english", I respectfully disagree.

> A proper noun is a noun which names a particular person, place, or thing.
> The English language is a particular language.

Interestingly, in "the english language", english is an adjective and not a noun at all.

Skill is a thing, and cocksucking is a particular skill. Does that mean we should always capitalize Cocksucking?

English is a proper noun when it names the people of England in contrast to the Welsh and the Scottish, but I did not use it as the proper name of the people of England.

[snip] Received on Mon Jul 02 2007 - 15:05:25 CDT