Re: Backup flashback logs to tape

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:00:23 -0700

On Jul 2, 3:38 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> Comments embedded.
> On Jul 2, 12:11 pm, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>

> > On Jul 2, 12:49 pm, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev"
>
> > <vladimir.zakharyc..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Always? Really? Even if FRA is configured on an ASM volume? Which OS
> > > command does that and of which OS? And assuming FRA is on a
> > > conventional file system, what will you get on tape when Oracle writes
> > > flashback logs while you tar them? And why would you want to backup
> > > flashback logs to tape in the first place? What's their worth being
> > > there?
>
> > > Regards,
> > > Vladimir M. Zakharychev
> > > N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
> > > http://www.dynamicpsp.com-Hidequoted text -

> > I work with UNIX. You can always use dd to backup anything.
>
> Certainly you *can* use dd to *copy* just about anything, but copying
> a live file in the process of a write operation doesn't make it a
> backup. I think you have your terms confused.
>
> > Never
> > tried ASM.
> > It has been pointed by Oracle that there is no need to backup
> > flashback logs, but OP is not asking that. OP's question was how to
> > back them up and not why to back them up.
>
> And our question *is* "why do you feel the need to backup these
> logs?" Had Oracle thought them important enough to database operation
> to preserve old copies then Oracle would have provided a tool or
> utility to do so. That none exists speaks volumes against the OPs
> desires.
>
> > I thnk there is something wrong in Oracle's design.
>
> Then you're welcome to bitch and moan at Larry and tell him where he's
> gone horribly wrong. Go ahead, we'll wait.
>
> > What hapens if
> > disk crashes and flashbac logs get deleted or become corrupted. Then
> > you cannot flashback database or flashabck db only to some point in
> > time.
>
> And this adversely impacts your database ... how?
>
> > You may hvave to turn flashback feature off and then turn the
> > feature on. I recently had a stuation where somehow flashback logs
> > were corrupted, it brought Oracle Database down.
>
> Then this is a bug which should be addressed by a patchset or an
> upgrade. Gee, it is. Upgrade to 10.2.0 and that problem will go
> away.

> > Then I had to turn
> > flashback off and then on. Oracle said it is a bug in Oracle 10.1.0.4
> > and is fixed in 10.2.0.x.- Hide quoted text -

> David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

 What hapens if
 disk crashes and flashbac logs get deleted or become corrupted. Then  you cannot flashback database or flashabck db only to some point in  time.

> And this adversely impacts your database ... how?

I do not know about you but I see this as a real issue. If I am using flashback database feature hoping that I can flashback to some point in tme back (e.g. last 7 days) and then find because of disk crash or corruption I cannot flashback at all then what is the point of using flashback database. Oracle is just hoping that disk will not crash, someone accdiently will not delete flahsback logs. We all know these things happen. Received on Mon Jul 02 2007 - 15:00:23 CDT