Re: ORA-01115 IO errors

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:09:01 -0700

Gerald Sinkiewicz wrote:

> The ORA-01115 references file 10. I cannot post file names.
> Ah, I did misspell "owner" and there are other messages related to the
> ORA-01115 that really just say Oracle could not read a certain block in file 10....

That is an entirely different matter that has nothing to do with what you sent the storage admins chasing ... stop them.

Oracle error messages are intended to be handled in a specific manner as befits an enterprise database. First you go to http://metalink.oracle.com and determine an appropriate actions plan: Then you act precisely as instructed. What you appear to have done is a guaranteed recipe for disaster ... not understand the message, not research the message ... and start doing stuff hoping something will fix it.

So lets get back to basics ...

Oracle can not read one or more specific blocks of a specific data file. This is an indication of a specific problem with a specific solution. Which blocks? In which tablespace? Being used by which objects? What version of Oracle do you have and have you, as you should have, taken backups with RMAN? If so what backups do you have, how were they taken, and specifically what actions, if any, have been taken since the problem was first discovered.

While you are contemplating the above run an RDA and open an SR.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington