Re: ORA-01115 IO errors

From: Gerald Sinkiewicz <>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:35:56 -0400

"DA Morgan" <> wrote in message
> Gerald Sinkiewicz wrote:
>> Somewhat strange ORA-01115 IO errors appearing in client software logs,
>> not alert.log though?
>> Metalink indicates hardware problems and implies that indeed these
>> messages may not appear in the alert.log.
>> Anyway one of the messages in the chain contains:
>> "IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error:1: Not onwer"
>> I have not been able to find an explaination of "Error:1" via metalink,
>> google, or altavista, and cannot find
>> an appropriate IBM reference (I believe the box is a P55 or P550 running
>> AIX5L 5.3).
>> You might ask if I have checked the ownership of the file (which is file
>> 10 by the way) and I assure you it is
>> properly owned by oracle:dba and always has been. The error is
>> intermittent.
>> I have the SAN guys looking through their logs, but my real question is
>> does that IBM error 1 indicate what
>> I think it does and somehow ownership of file 10 is at times in flux for
>> whatever reason?
> Highly unlikely that the O/S thinks file ownership is in flux. But from
> what you've posted the dots do not connect.
> The error message you typed, not copied (obvious from the misspelling)
> gives no indication of why you think anything relates to file 10 or what
> it is you think is file 10. Hopefully you don't think AIX is reading the
> file# from file$.
> The error is an operating system error, not an Oracle error. And the
> last time I worked with AIX files had names ... not numbers. Please
> connect the dots with cut-and-paste not your interpretation. Perhaps
> then we can help you.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group

I did not cut an paste because I am an home (news groups are forbidden at work).
The ORA-01115 references file 10. I cannot post file names. Ah, I did misspell "owner" and there are other messages related to the ORA-01115 that really just
say Oracle could not read a certain block in file 10.... The only message that is not an Oracle message is the AIX one I mistyped.

The root cause is probably related to the SAN, but it could also be an AIX bug? I would bet on the SAN switch
being the problem. The errpt shows SAN disk errors up to Jun 14, but not on June 27 when the "Error:1: Not owner"
error showed up in the application (client software) logs.

Really I am just wondering if anyone has seen that "Error: 1" before. There are numerous examples in google of "Error: 2" which indicates a named file does not exist. Received on Sat Jun 30 2007 - 19:35:56 CDT

Original text of this message