Re: Get Oracle 9i2 to run again after WinXP reinstallation ... ?

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:34:44 -0700

On Jun 27, 8:21 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Martin T. wrote:
> > Greetings.
> > [Oracle 9i2 9.0.1.3.0, Windows XPsp2]
>
> > The situation is as follows: At a remote site some windows system
> > dll's got corrupted, the machine didn't start up anymore and they
> > reinstalled Windows (XPsp2). Now in this situation everything (under C:
> > \Oracle) is basically still there on the disk and rather that
> > reinstalling Oracle I would like to recreate the services etc.
> > Now, I probably could manage to recreate the services, the Oracle User/
> > Group and the stuff in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\...] as
> > this is one of identical machines installed at several sites.
> > However, there also seems to be a lot of Oracle related stuff under
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{...}\...] and hence I'm not too sure that I
> > can get the system working without doing a re-install via the
> > installer.
>
> > * Anyone ever done this on Windows (XP) ?
> > * Any googlish pointers? Didn't really know how to search for this ...
> > * Stupid idea? Just send them the install CD's by post and reinstall
> > Oracle?
>
> > thanks!
> > br,
> > Martin
>
> The situation is FUBAR:

Yes. The whole bloody project is.

> - - 9iR2 starts with 9.2.0.1.0 - you have release 1!

Hmmm ... I thought that version string looked fishy ... I need to double check (copied it from the sqlplus /nolog prompt, so maybe it was some client side thing) ... thanks for pointing it out.

> - - you just have to restore the backup - oh no, you have chosen
> windows - the only system that corrupts it's own system backups.

I'm not sure I can follow. But Windows bashing is never too wrong. :)

> - - you probably could restore the relevant registry entries

Maybe I should just give it a try.

> - - I would certainly not poke around in the registry to recreate
> the services, just use oradim.exe

That was the plan ... but there are more registry entries than just the services ...

> After that, your database should probably open without a glitch,
> after all, it's not just a database, it's Oracle.
>
> But, on the safe side - just reinstall the software, recreate
> services, and you're up-and-running

Probably what I'll do anyway.

Thanks for you input! Received on Wed Jun 27 2007 - 16:34:44 CDT