Re: Kernel parameter recommendations for HP-UX 11.11 in regard to SGA size

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:10:25 -0700

On Jun 10, 2:54 am, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> joel garry wrote:
> > It normally isn't critical, but in a SAME sort of configuration under
> > heavy loads (like loading a major schema) with RAID-5, the heavy

> SAME with RAID-5.... Interesting concept ;)
> How should I envision that?
>
> (To wondering minds: SAME stands for Stripe-And-Mirror-Everything,
> and do not bother about non-raid, raid5, raid1 and raid0 for all
> different oracle files. Sort of LMT for files)

You're right, I brain-farted that one. Should have been "It normally isn't critical, but in a pure RAID-5 configuration under heavy loads (like loading a major schema), ..."

Some people advise putting those files that tend to be written sequentially away from RAID-5, to avoid effects of maxing out the write buffer under heavy load. Sometimes it's hard to test for every possible write load scenario in advance. YMMV.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/OOW2000_same_ppt.pdf for anyone who doesn't know about SAME.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
If at first you don't succeed, push the big red button.