Re: running 9i and 10g on same AIX5L server

From: Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:52:37 -0700

On Jun 5, 2:47 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:15:18 -0700, Ben <bal..._at_comcast.net> wrote:

> >> cat /etc/oratab.
> >> What's in there?
>
> >> --
> >> Sybrand Bakker
> >> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> >it is supposed to be a listing of all the
> >sid:oracle_home:start_on_boot(Y|N)
> >we don't use dbstart or dbshut though, so it's kind of useless is it
> >not? If we indeed used dbstart, then yes, this would need to be set
> >accordingly. The only thing that I see dbstart doing with the home
> >portion of oratab though is setting the ORACLE_HOME.
>
> >Actually as I just checked our oratab, it isn't even up to date. The
> >homes that are listed in it don't even exist anymore.
>
> >So, is $ORACLE_HOME the only thing that tells an instance what
> >installation of oracle software to use?
>
> Next time, look better, and in the mean time answer the following quiz
> question:
> Which environment variable does oraenv adjust, which will determine
> which version of Oracle you get by typing 'sqlplus'?
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA- Hide quoted text -

um PATH, not much of a quiz.

I didn't specifically state that I don't use oraenv either. oraenv calls dbhome which in turn uses oratab, BUT I DON'T USE ORAENV. I get the feeling that you are trying to tell me that oratab is what controls the version of oracle software that is used for your instance. I don't consider that to be accurate though, as I can see with mine eyes that our oratab references non-existent homes. If you use oraenv the indirectly it would use oratab to set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable.

Back to my question, is $ORACLE_HOME what determines the version of the software is executed to access a database? Received on Tue Jun 05 2007 - 14:52:37 CDT