Re: running 9i and 10g on same AIX5L server

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:15:26 +0200

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:52:37 -0700, Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>I didn't specifically state that I don't use oraenv either. oraenv
>calls dbhome which in turn uses oratab, BUT I DON'T USE ORAENV. I get
>the feeling that you are trying to tell me that oratab is what
>controls the version of oracle software that is used for your
>instance. I don't consider that to be accurate though, as I can see
>with mine eyes that our oratab references non-existent homes. If you
>use oraenv the indirectly it would use oratab to set the ORACLE_HOME
>environment variable.

I'm not responsible for the messes you seem to administer. It is your own choice to turn /etc/oratab into a mess, and hardcoding everything where you should set up /etc/oratab appropiately and use oraenv.
You would have known that,if you, instead of hacking around and asking redundant questions, at least would have read the installation manual, and would have read up on OFA.

If you don't consider my answer accurate then Oracle probably is not for you, and I recommend switching to a Mickey Mouse database instead. I'm not here to be insulted by people who can't be bothered to read manuals, and need a kick on their butt for every move they make.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA