Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 21:29:18 +0100

hpuxrac wrote:

> [...]

>>> running for example for load balancing.
>> ah so you are in fact a trill. (small useless fluffy ball yes I know,
>> not scary mythological creature)
>>
>>> Performance advantage because of network traffic reduction are over
>>> blown. When you write a stored procedure, only part of the code
>>> involving network traffic may be accessing information from database
>>> and writing information to database. If there is a lot of computation
>>> logic in stored procedure, PL/SQL being an interpreted language may
>>> run slower.
>> very, very true. for the *first* application you write accessing that
>> data. Obviously no-one will ever wish to access that data for any other
>> reason, in any other language. Still thanks for that kind offer to DBAs
>> everywhere to let application developers run dataloads through the app
>> and support them themselves.
>>
>>> So writing lot of PL/SQL code does not necessarily improve
>>> performance. I have worked in porjects where people do not want to
>>> write stored procedures because PL/SQL code cannot call any of the
>>> project libraries written in C++ or Java as a result one is
>>> duplicating code in PL/SQL.
>> Then you have worked in projects where people cannot use the technology
>> that you mention. PL/SQL can call both c++ and java routines.
>>
>>> Do you know why there is COM, DCOM, EJB, CORBA etc. Have you looked
>>> into no of Java jar files, which keep growing, with each Oracle
>>> installation indicating that Oracle itself is a heavy user of Java.
>> you will of course have looked into whether the java is called anywhere
>> from PL/SQL - after all it can't be done now can it :)
>>
>>> If one wants to make a career
>>> In software engineering (unfortunately a dieing profession in United
>>> States where I live), you have to know lots of things, that's where
>>> you need Java, C++ etc. If you are happy using PL/SQL, keep using it
>>> while saying ha ha. But there is a lot more to software development
>>> than programming in PL/SQL. As I said in my earlier mail it is always
>>> good to know PL/SQL as well as other programming languages such as
>>> Java, C++.
>> There are a number of key skills it seems to me at least in software
>> development, not re-inventing the wheel is one of them. so yep the
>> languages you mention are great for user interfaces, pretty good for
>> math, but very very poor for data integrity and awful for re-usability.
>> horses for courses.
>>
>> --
>> Niall Litchfield
>> Oracle DBAhttp://www.orawin.info/services-
>
> It is no secret that oracle education and the classes they offer
> aren't exactly on target.  How much material was dropped from the 7.3
> and 8.0 classes to the current set of classes?
>
> Lots and lots of people are making small amounts of money fulfilling
> limited amounts of demand from the marketplace and teaching oracle
> based classes.
>
> This guy had the guts to ask some questions.

I didn't see that he did, except rhetorically about other technologies. Doug did ask some sensible questions about the use of PL/SQL - though somewhat surprising questions for someone who had been hired to teach the subject. zigzagdna hasn't asked any questions that I have seen, but has rather given the impression that when developing database applications it is best to ignore the database and write all code possible outside the database.