Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 25 May 2007 15:49:28 -0700

On May 25, 4:58 pm, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfi..._at_dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:

> >> But there are very few places where one can get an order of
> >> magnitude improvement.

> >> Dear, do yourself a favor, measure.
>
> >> You will get the "haha" experience.
>
> >> --- Raoul
>
> > When you are working on large software projects, database is only a
> > small part of the code.There is user interface, there is interprocess
> > communication. You may want to have many instances of a process
> > running for example for load balancing.
>
> ah so you are in fact a trill. (small useless fluffy ball yes I know,
> not scary mythological creature)
>
> > Performance advantage because of network traffic reduction are over
> > blown. When you write a stored procedure, only part of the code
> > involving network traffic may be accessing information from database
> > and writing information to database. If there is a lot of computation
> > logic in stored procedure, PL/SQL being an interpreted language may
> > run slower.
>
> very, very true. for the *first* application you write accessing that
> data. Obviously no-one will ever wish to access that data for any other
> reason, in any other language. Still thanks for that kind offer to DBAs
> everywhere to let application developers run dataloads through the app
> and support them themselves.
>
> > So writing lot of PL/SQL code does not necessarily improve
> > performance. I have worked in porjects where people do not want to
> > write stored procedures because PL/SQL code cannot call any of the
> > project libraries written in C++ or Java as a result one is
> > duplicating code in PL/SQL.
>
> Then you have worked in projects where people cannot use the technology
> that you mention. PL/SQL can call both c++ and java routines.
>
> > Do you know why there is COM, DCOM, EJB, CORBA etc. Have you looked
> > into no of Java jar files, which keep growing, with each Oracle
> > installation indicating that Oracle itself is a heavy user of Java.
>
> you will of course have looked into whether the java is called anywhere
> from PL/SQL - after all it can't be done now can it :)
>
> > If one wants to make a career
> > In software engineering (unfortunately a dieing profession in United
> > States where I live), you have to know lots of things, that's where
> > you need Java, C++ etc. If you are happy using PL/SQL, keep using it
> > while saying ha ha. But there is a lot more to software development
> > than programming in PL/SQL. As I said in my earlier mail it is always
> > good to know PL/SQL as well as other programming languages such as
> > Java, C++.
>
> There are a number of key skills it seems to me at least in software
> development, not re-inventing the wheel is one of them. so yep the
> languages you mention are great for user interfaces, pretty good for
> math, but very very poor for data integrity and awful for re-usability.
> horses for courses.
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> [...]

It is no secret that oracle education and the classes they offer aren't exactly on target. How much material was dropped from the 7.3 and 8.0 classes to the current set of classes?

Lots and lots of people are making small amounts of money fulfilling limited amounts of demand from the marketplace and teaching oracle based classes.

This guy had the guts to ask some questions.

Some set of people who apparently feel they know everything has jumped all of this set of honest questions.

Shame on all of you. Received on Fri May 25 2007 - 17:49:28 CDT