Re: Migrating to Oracle on Windows

From: <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 May 2007 12:55:30 -0700

On 21 mai, 20:08, Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM..._at_not-at-verizon.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:21:40 -0700, hasta_l3 wrote:
> > " With one important exception, file views derived from a single file
> > mapping object
> > are coherent or identical at a specific time. If multiple processes have
> > handles of
> > the same file mapping object, they see a coherent view of the data when
> > they
> > map a view of the file." (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/
> > aa366537.aspx)
>
> What is a "coherent view"? Does it reflect any changes to the mapped
> area immediately?

Yes. Assume process X writes value V at address A. If it reads back the content of address A, it will get back value V. By the coherency guarantee above, process B reading address B mapped to the same virtual memory cell will also read value V.

You may want to browse
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810613.aspx notably the first sentences of the section on shared memory

> My information tells me that it is not the case.

Well, I would really like to browse a reference (life teached me to be a die-hard skeptic :-)

> > Which primitive do you feel is missing ?
>
> Standard IPC primitivies. Look into manual pages under IPC:
> shmat, shmget,shmop,shmctl, semget,semop and all the rest:

Unfortunatly, I dont know unix...

Windows synchronization objects include events, semaphores and mutexes, which can be used across processes.

Communication include shared memory and queues