Re: preparing for first upgrade as dba

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:34:01 +0200

On 21 May 2007 10:56:23 -0700, Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>In reading the various documentation it says to patch the freshly
>installed 10.2.0.1 to the latest patches and critical updates. I'm
>curious though (I've looked in meta link and can't find this spelled
>out anywhere), If I apply the patch to 10.2.0.3 does that include
>10.2.0.2 as well? Also, what about the critical patch updates for
>security and such. If I apply the latest the CPU, would that be
>equivilant to applying the patch to get to 10.2.0.3?

The release note at Metalink for a patch state which base level you need. If the base level is 10.2.0.1 the patch is cumulative.

CPUs are installed on top of 'normal' upgrades and are never cumulative.
It is advisable to install all patches *prior* to creating the database, if you plan to create a new database. If you don't do that the patch will need to upgrade the db also.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA