Re: SQL Tuning Regarding System CPU Stats

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 00:00:23 GMT

On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:55:33 -0700, andrew.markiewicz wrote:

> Hello all.
> We are in the process of upgrading from 9i to 10g and starting to use
> system statistics. Since the system statistics are used per database
> instance and not per user/schema, what approach is recommended for
> tuning a production system within a development environment?

The best approach is: if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Besides that, what does it mean to "tune production system"? I was under the impression that applications are what needs tuning, not the system. There is a little known book, published by O'Reilly few years ago, named "Optimizing Oracle for Performance", written by two guys, Cary Millsap and Jeff Holt. The book is as timeless as Mona Lisa, but not as inscrutable. It certainly doesn't depend on Oracle version. It deals with performance problems from the philosophical point of view and answers the question of life universe and everything. There is also a prolific author named Tom Kyte who writes various things, Oracle books among other things. I can wholeheartedly recommend his collected works, too. Further reading would include Cost-  fundamentals by Jonathan Lewis, RAC Handbook by K. Gopalakrishnan, Oracle 10 Wait events by Kirti Deshpande (phenomenal book!!!) and Dan Tow's SQL Tuning.
For further specialized topics, I would recommend numerous available articles by Tom Kyte, Jonathan Lewis, Wolfgang Breitling, Tim Gorman, The Hotsos gang, Julian Dyke, Howard Rogers, Connor McDonald as well as specialized DW books by Ralph Kimball and Gavin Powell.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com