Re: Setting NLS_COMP and NLS_SORT at the database level

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 17 May 2007 15:54:07 -0700

On May 17, 12:00 pm, ymong..._at_chca.ca wrote:
> On May 16, 5:05 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> > On May 16, 11:22 am, ymong..._at_chca.ca wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>
> > > I am running Oracle 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1).
>
> > > I have set theNLS_COMPparameter to LINGUISTIC and theNLS_SORT
> > > parameter to BINARY_AI in the spFile through Oracle Entreprise
> > > Manager. I have shut down and restarted thedatabase.

> > > parameters), I can see that the values for the parameters are the ones
> > > mentioned above. However, I cannot perform a case-insensitive and
> > > accent-insensitive search.
>
> > > If I change it at the session level
> > > ALTER SESSION SETNLS_COMP=LINGUISTIC
> > > ALTER SESSION SETNLS_SORT=BINARY_AI
> > > it works fine.
>
> > > Is there another parameter to set in order to have this at the
> > >databaselevel?
>
> > > Thanks for your help.
>
> > When you first connect into a session ( try using sqlplus ) and before
> > you do the alter session ...what does the result of a command ( SQL>
> > show parameter nls ) give you?- Hide quoted text -

> Sorry, I hit the wrong button :-).
>
> I executed the "show parameter nls" on the server directly and here
> are the results of the parameters that have a value set:
> nls_comp LINGUISTIC
> nls_language AMERICAN
> nls_length_semantics BYTE
> nls_nchar_conv_excp FALSE
> nls_sort BINARY_AI
> nls_territory AMERICA
>
> Thanks.
> Yanick

There are a few bugs with NLS in your version. Maybe you should open a service request with Oracle to see if you've found another one. Of course, they would want you to be on the latest patch. You already have a workaround, setting it at the session level.

Could you also let us know how you are testing and what your character set is? Are you using linguistic indexes?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Revolutions are for kids Web 2.0 apps, not for your primary data