Re: Oracle RAC and cold node

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 19:29:25 +0200

On 9 May 2007 09:12:57 -0700, Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sybrand, are you saying that if you install Oracle on one machine
>(attention I am not saying there is a database there) and turn it off
>you have to pay license for it? For how long? Are you bound to remove
>Oracle S/W from the machines you retire as well?
>
>I understand your line of thinking, but I think it should be a
>deliniation hence the ask for the OP to confirm with his rep. Mind you
>that this "cold" node has only software on it, no database.

Valentin, I'm quite aware of the situation of the OP. I was just paraphrasing some discussions we had with various Oracle reps. In the partioning case Oracle was threatening customer to take legal matters.
Look at it this way: How many *new* Oracle installations will they sell, nowadays? Why the compliancy actions? To increase their sales figures evidently.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA