Re: Oracle RAC and cold node

From: Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 May 2007 11:17:05 -0700

On May 9, 1:29 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On 9 May 2007 09:12:57 -0700, Valentin Minzatu
>
> <valentinminz..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Sybrand, are you saying that if you install Oracle on one machine
> >(attention I am not saying there is a database there) and turn it off
> >you have to pay license for it? For how long? Are you bound to remove
> >Oracle S/W from the machines you retire as well?
>
> >I understand your line of thinking, but I think it should be a
> >deliniation hence the ask for the OP to confirm with his rep. Mind you
> >that this "cold" node has only software on it, no database.
>
> Valentin, I'm quite aware of the situation of the OP.
> I was just paraphrasing some discussions we had with various Oracle
> reps. In the partioning case Oracle was threatening customer to take
> legal matters.
> Look at it this way: How many *new* Oracle installations will they
> sell, nowadays? Why the compliancy actions? To increase their sales
> figures evidently.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I completely agree with your point in regards to options although I think that will prevent if it is not already doing so users from expanding their install base (i.e. although you only need 2 CPUs for partitioning/partitioned tables access, you have to license a whole 16 CPUs cluster). I also agree with your point with regards to standby licensing.

As a speculation, I think one can keep a server (with the software installed) offline to be ready to replace a failed machine at the switch of a button - I hope that was the OP question :). The fact that the server was configured as part of the cluster or not should not really matter as it is never used in excess of the license entitlement - I would be curious to know if one has to pay for backing up the oracle_home on to a different machine. Received on Wed May 09 2007 - 13:17:05 CDT