Re: History alias for sql/sqlplus cmd?

From: Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 May 2007 08:51:29 -0700

On May 9, 11:38 am, EscVector <J..._at_webthere.com> wrote:
> On May 8, 4:01 am, Gints Plivna <gints.pli..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Using a cmd line sqlplus in Window gives the options for cut-n-past
> > > and arrow up/down cmd history and line completion if you set it up
> > > right. Never use the GUI Windows version...never...
>
> > Never say never :)
> > for example it is easier to set linesize 1000 and see everything in
> > one row in windows version
> > Although it sometimes crashes without any reason then :(
> > also one can easily copy-paste using mouse clicks.
>
> > OK but that's the matter of taste and I'm using both :)
>
> > Gints Plivnahttp://www.gplivna.eu
>
> To do this in windows cmd version, open the cmd window, right click
> border and goto properties, set "Screen Buffer Size" width to 9999.
>
> I run with sqlplus linesize 9999 with no wrapping in most queries.
>
> Cut and paste is easier/faster: Highlight, hit enter, right click
> and paste to screen or ctrl-v outside cmd window.
>
> I can drag scripts in from explorer and they appear with full path.
> It never crashes.
>
> My focus is that many people say they don't like windows cmd prompt.
> I have my cmd prompt setup so that it behaves much the same as any
> linux/unix env. I'm using cygwin and gnu32 binaries in the path and
> have powershell as the windows script environment. It isn't quite as
> simple as unix/linux in setup, but it has History, directory
> completion and cut-n-pastes better than xwin. Running SQLPlus from
> windows cmd prompt gives all these advantages that the GUI does not
> have.
>
> I'll say it again, never use the GUI .... Unless you like the
> limited GUI. :-)

... F7 for command history and right click for both copy and paste (if XP and quick edit mode is enabled) ... I still prefer TOAD-like tools because I have the ability to have the whole script in front of me and choose whether to execute it as a whole or one command at a time - but I guess this would be a different topic wouldn't it? Received on Wed May 09 2007 - 10:51:29 CDT