Re: History alias for sql/sqlplus cmd?

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 9 May 2007 08:38:38 -0700

On May 8, 4:01 am, Gints Plivna <gints.pli..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Using a cmd line sqlplus in Window gives the options for cut-n-past
> > and arrow up/down cmd history and line completion if you set it up
> > right. Never use the GUI Windows version...never...
>
> Never say never :)
> for example it is easier to set linesize 1000 and see everything in
> one row in windows version
> Although it sometimes crashes without any reason then :(
> also one can easily copy-paste using mouse clicks.
>
> OK but that's the matter of taste and I'm using both :)
>
> Gints Plivnahttp://www.gplivna.eu

To do this in windows cmd version, open the cmd window, right click border and goto properties, set "Screen Buffer Size" width to 9999.

I run with sqlplus linesize 9999 with no wrapping in most queries.

Cut and paste is easier/faster: Highlight, hit enter, right click and paste to screen or ctrl-v outside cmd window.

I can drag scripts in from explorer and they appear with full path. It never crashes.

My focus is that many people say they don't like windows cmd prompt. I have my cmd prompt setup so that it behaves much the same as any linux/unix env. I'm using cygwin and gnu32 binaries in the path and have powershell as the windows script environment. It isn't quite as simple as unix/linux in setup, but it has History, directory completion and cut-n-pastes better than xwin. Running SQLPlus from windows cmd prompt gives all these advantages that the GUI does not have.

I'll say it again, never use the GUI .... Unless you like the limited GUI. :-) Received on Wed May 09 2007 - 10:38:38 CDT