Re: Oracle RAC and cold node

From: Robert Jaroszuk <zim_at_iq.no.spam.please.pl>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 12:20:18 +0200

bernard (bernard_at_bosvark.com) wrote:
> On May 8, 7:46 am, Robert Jaroszuk <z..._at_iq.no.spam.please.pl> wrote:
>

>> Is it possible to configure RAC to use so called 'cold node' ?
>> node3 is not online for all the time, it is something like 'hot spare'
>> in RAID1.
>>
>> How about Oracle licensing of node3 ?

> Why would you want to do that? Is that not defeating one of the many
> purposes of RAC? Use all the hardware so that none of them just sit
> still and waste floorspace? Anyway I think there might be a reason
> for such a configuration, just curious as to what that reason is.
>
> Licensing, well that change quite frequently (in the UK that is), I
> think they will license that the same way as a standby database. That
> is: you intend to use it, even in a disaster that might never happen,
> well pay for it then.

The only reason I see for using 'cold node' in RAC is licensing. That's why I'am asking about this :-)
Anyone has confirmed information about licensing failover/cluster guard nodes in RAC?

--
... Robert Jaroszuk ...
GCS/IT/O d? s: a- C++ ULB++++$ P+ L++++$ E- W++ K- N+ DI+ V-

	-> New photos: http://zim.iq.pl/photo/