Re: Oracle RAC and cold node

From: Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 May 2007 10:47:30 -0700

On May 8, 6:20 am, Robert Jaroszuk <z..._at_iq.no.spam.please.pl> wrote:
> bernard (bernard_at_bosvark.com) wrote:
> > On May 8, 7:46 am, Robert Jaroszuk <z..._at_iq.no.spam.please.pl> wrote:
>
> >> Is it possible to configure RAC to use so called 'cold node' ?
> >> node3 is not online for all the time, it is something like 'hot spare'
> >> in RAID1.
>
> >> How about Oracle licensing of node3 ?
>
> > Why would you want to do that? Is that not defeating one of the many
> > purposes of RAC? Use all the hardware so that none of them just sit
> > still and waste floorspace? Anyway I think there might be a reason
> > for such a configuration, just curious as to what that reason is.
>
> > Licensing, well that change quite frequently (in the UK that is), I
> > think they will license that the same way as a standby database. That
> > is: you intend to use it, even in a disaster that might never happen,
> > well pay for it then.
>
> The only reason I see for using 'cold node' in RAC is licensing.
> That's why I'am asking about this :-)
> Anyone has confirmed information about licensing failover/cluster guard
> nodes in RAC?
>
> --
> ... Robert Jaroszuk ...
> GCS/IT/O d? s: a- C++ ULB++++$ P+ L++++$ E- W++ K- N+ DI+ V-
> w M- PS+ PE Y(+) PGP-(+++) t-- 5? X R !tv b++>++++ D- y+ G++
> .http://zim.iq.pl/. RJ735-RIPE .http://zim.iq.pl/photo/.
> .. The superior warrior wins without fighting -- Sun Tzu. ..
>
> -> New photos:http://zim.iq.pl/photo/- Hide quoted text -

I do not see why you'd pay license for a turned off node. If you start using it, then yes, you should pay license for, but as long as the node is down I would think there is no need for additional license.

Also, if you loose one of the other nodes you've already paid for and bring up the "standby" node I think you should be alright as you are not using more capacity than you paid for at any given time.

Anyway, that's my two cents, but to be sure of what is legal and so on you should talk to your rep.

Cheers,
Valentin Received on Tue May 08 2007 - 12:47:30 CDT