Re: Archive log transport after Physical Standby bounce

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 May 2007 09:12:34 -0700

On May 3, 10:26 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Pete's wrote:
> > Hi all.
>
> > Oracle 10.2.0.3, AIX 5.3 TL05. I have a dataguard setup, primary
> > db(DB1) on server A, standby db on Server B. TNS info is DB1 for the
> > primary and DB1_LOC2 for the standby site. Log_archive_dest_2 is
> > 'SERVICE=DB1_LOC2 VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE)
> > DB_UNIQUE_NAME=DB1_LOC2 LGWR ASYNC REOPEN=60000 MAX_FAILURE=2000)'
>
> > Example of the standby bounce:
>
> > shutdown immediate;
> > startup nomount;
> > alter database mount standby database;
> > alter database recover managed standby database disconnect;
>
> > After bouncing the standby, querying the primary v$archive_dest, the
> > standby dest stays in error, in fact ora-3113. Note that I'm able
> > to connect to the standby db as sysdba, and am able to connect to the
> > primary. Now, back in 9.2 with Dataguard, in order to get the rfs
> > processes to send the missing archive logs and resync, you connected
> > to the primary and performed the following:
>
> > alter database archive log stop;
> > alter database archive log start;
> > alter system switch logfile;
>
> > After the log switch, Oracle would attempt to re-open the standby
> > archive destination, dest_2. But now, in 10.2, log_archive_start is
> > an obsolete parameter so this no longer works. I've read thru 10.2
> > dataguard docs and seem to be missing it. Anyone have any
> > ideas(short of bouncing the primary), to get the archive logs
> > transporting again?
>
> > TIA,
> > Pete's
>
> This is my normal switchover:
>
> On the Primary:
> -----------------
> shutdown abort;
> startup mount;
> alter database open;
> alter database commit to switchover to standby with session shutdown wait;
>
> On the secondary:
> -----------------
> SELECT switchover_status FROM gv$database
> -- Value returned must be TO_PRIMARY to proceed.
> alter database commit to switchover to primary with session shutdown wait;
> startup;
> alter database recover managed standby database disconnect;
>
> Hopefully looking at it will help.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Thanks for the prompt reply, however, a switch over is not what I'm looking at.

I probably should have prefaced my question with an example. Ex. Say the server at your standby site is booted on a bi-weekly schedule. All databases at this site are shutdown and the server rebooted. When the server is up again, db's are scripted to start automatically, one of them being a standby. During the time of reboot, there could have been several log switches at the primary site. Now that your standby has several files that need to be applied, you have two options to sync up the two sites. Given that 'reopen' is set, Oracle RFS processes should attempt to retransmit the logs and apply them when the standby is in managed recovery mode, or, you can apply them manually. I prefer to have Oracle apply them automatically. To get Oracle's RFS processes talking again in 9.2, you had to do the stop/ start of the archiver on the primary and a log switch. With 10.2, I'm looking to do the same thing and I'm not finding it.

TIA,
Pete's Received on Thu May 03 2007 - 11:12:34 CDT