Re: Fastest way to ASCII file or other ideas?

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 3 May 2007 09:32:37 -0700

On May 3, 11:38 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> EscVector wrote:

> >> What exactly do you need to do? This started off as simply dumping
> >> rows to ASCII.

> >> jg
> >> --
> >> @home.com is bogus.
> >> If an optimist looks a glass of water and says "it's half full", and a
> >> pessimist looks and says "its half empty"... The DBA will look and say
> >> "that glass looks twice as big as it needs to be - is the water
> >> increasing or decreasing? Better get another glass to back it up."
>
> > I didn't want the simplest way to dump rows I wanted the fastest
> > way.
> > Asking for brainstorm, suggestions, ideas, sanity check.
>
> > I think simple would be running from sqlplus. That was mentioned.
> > I'm biased toward perl or C. These were also suggested.
>
> You haven't really stated why you want to dump the data? If you
> did so it might open insights into other options.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Transfer to 3rd party app the requires ASCII file input. No way around it.
Must have a ASCII flat or delimited file. No API into the system. Crazy eh?

So it is in Oracle and we need it in the other system, the system only takes flat files input.

I had thought about creating a pipe/stream that feeds the system, thus no real flat file, but audit issues prevented that. Received on Thu May 03 2007 - 11:32:37 CDT