Re: implement data guard

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:05:31 -0700

Karnash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to implement data guard on 10g R2. This is on a test
> server and so I I have created a standby db using RMAN and have added
> standby redo log group to the standby db and have created password
> file on the same host. So I have a primary db and standby db.
>
> Now I am preparing the primary db for the data guard configuration and
> have to change the init.ora parameters,
>
> The primary db is backed up thru RMAN in flash_recovery_area and
> archive_dest is USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST
>
> SQL> archive log list;
> Database log mode Archive Mode
> Automatic archival Enabled
> Archive destination USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST
> Oldest online log sequence 15
> Next log sequence to archive 17
> Current log sequence 17
>
> Now, to make the changes in the init.ora for the primary db, I am
> confused about the following:
>
> LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1= 'LOCATION=/arch1/chicago/ => what should this
> be ?????
> VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)
> DB_UNIQUE_NAME=primary
> LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2=
> 'SERVICE=boston LGWR ASYNC
> VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE)
> DB_UNIQUE_NAME=standby
>
> I am following note 248382.1 on metalink but am confused about the
> archived log destination.
>
> Could you please guide me thanks.

Don't get me started about the docs on Data Guard at metalink. I have yet to find one that is complete.

The best solution is to put the DG specific parameters into an ifile.

You can find a working demo in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org under Data Guard. Scroll down until you find the section: " Configure Database for DR Replication Omega 1 only"

In the PSOUG lab we use "Omega 1" to indicate the primary and "Omega 2" to indicate the physical standby.

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington