implement data guard

From: Karnash <donkarnash_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Apr 2007 23:17:28 -0700

Hi all,

I am trying to implement data guard on 10g R2. This is on a test server and so I I have created a standby db using RMAN and have added standby redo log group to the standby db and have created password file on the same host. So I have a primary db and standby db.

Now I am preparing the primary db for the data guard configuration and have to change the init.ora parameters,

The primary db is backed up thru RMAN in flash_recovery_area and archive_dest is USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST

SQL> archive log list;

Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST
Oldest online log sequence     15
Next log sequence to archive   17
Current log sequence           17

Now, to make the changes in the init.ora for the primary db, I am confused about the following:

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1= 'LOCATION=/arch1/chicago/ => what should this be ?????
  VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)
  DB_UNIQUE_NAME=primary
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2=
 'SERVICE=boston LGWR ASYNC
  VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE)   DB_UNIQUE_NAME=standby

I am following note 248382.1 on metalink but am confused about the archived log destination.

Could you please guide me thanks. Received on Fri Apr 27 2007 - 01:17:28 CDT