Re: Large table and buffer cache concerns

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:07:12 -0700

devalos_at_gmail.com wrote:

> This next part defies logic but I don't want to discuss the details of
> why we reload the customers list once very 5 to 30 min, let's just
> assume we have a really good reason for doing so.

I am sure you have a reason but I doubt it is a good one. Here's my guess though.

Some Java developer, brain-dead about databases, though it would be a good idea to load all customers into an array stored on the app server.

If so ... the reason is a bad one and database work needs to be done by someone that understands more about databases than how to spell the word.

If that is not the reason ... I've enjoy being enlightened.

Because I've a remarkably good idea of how the largest retail websites in the world do it and that's not it.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington