Re: beginner: on a related note....cursors

From: <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2007 04:23:18 -0700

On 10 avr, 11:12, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 10:01 am, hasta..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
>

> > On 10 avr, 08:54, "matt" <reflectio..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I have put together the following plsql and can verify that it does
> > > return the expected result..."the closest existing salary to a user
> > > entered salary of 8000"
> > > The problem i face with this having to make this a stored procedure or
> > > function without whole-sale changes. Any ideas? The required use of
> > > a cursor makes this especially challenging for me.
>
> > > DECLARE
> > > name empbb02.ename%TYPE;
> > > salary empbb02.sal%TYPE;
> > > TYPE cursor_var IS REF CURSOR;
> > > myCursorVar cursor_var;
> > > TargetSalary empbb02.sal%TYPE;
> > > rk number(5);
>
> > > BEGIN
>
> > > OPEN myCursorVar FOR SELECT RANK()OVER(ORDER BY ABS(E.sal - 8000))AS
> > > RNK, E.ename
> > > , E.sal
> > > FROM empbb02 E;
>
> > > LOOP
> > > FETCH myCursorVar INTO rk, name,salary;
> > > EXIT WHEN myCursorVar%NOTFOUND OR rk ='2';
> > > DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(rk||' '||name||' '||salary);
> > > END LOOP;
> > > CLOSE myCursorVar;
> > > END;
> > > /
>
> > Dear Matt, please allow me a few comments :
>
> > 1) This group is more oriented toward oracle administration
> > discussions. Questions like the above would be more on-topic
> > in comp.databases.oracle.misc.
>
> > 2) People posting here are experts (not me :-). They will gladly
> > help, but they - rightly - require that documentation has been read
> > and research has been performed before a question is asked.
>
> > 3) One way to start with Oracle is to read the concept manual
> > from top to bottom, and from there to move on to some other
> > manuals - eg the PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference. The
> > documentation is freely available athttp://tahiti.oracle.com/
>
> > 4) A great resource to search for ishttp://asktom.oracle.com/
> > eghttp://asktom.oracle.com/tkyte/ResultSets/index.html
>
> > Hope it helps. Have a very nice day
>
> > --- Raoul- Hide quoted text -

> Please allow me to explain to you the division between the various
> groups in comp.databases.oracle
>
> .server is geared at the RDBMS, and SQL
> .tools is geared at Oracle frontends
> .misc is geared at all non-Oracle products interfacing to Oracle.
> .marketplace is for spam ;)
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Dear sybrandb,

I had hoped to help the group and avoid the OP a flame with the information above... I am sorry if it is incorrect, and I thank you for the clarifications.

However, note that the information I provided come from the charters of c.d.o.misc and c.d.o.server :

CHARTER: comp.databases.oracle.server

Comp.databases.oracle.server is a newsgroup to discuss Oracle server and database administration subjects. Any topic which is especially of
interest to those performing database or system administration duties is welcome in this group.

CHARTER: comp.databases.oracle.misc

Comp.databases.oracle.misc is a news group where topics generally related
to the use of software from Oracle Corporation may be posted. This group
provides a forum for topics which do not fall within any of the more specific
comp.databases.oracle subgroups.

Sources :

  http://orafaq.com/usenet/charter1.htm
  http://orafaq.com/usenet/charter3.htm