Re: beginner: on a related note....cursors

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2007 05:07:33 -0700

On Apr 10, 1:23 pm, hasta..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> On 10 avr, 11:12, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Dear Matt, please allow me a few comments :
>
> > > 1) This group is more oriented toward oracle administration
> > > discussions. Questions like the above would be more on-topic
> > > in comp.databases.oracle.misc.
>
> > > 2) People posting here are experts (not me :-). They will gladly
> > > help, but they - rightly - require that documentation has been read
> > > and research has been performed before a question is asked.
>
> > > 3) One way to start with Oracle is to read the concept manual
> > > from top to bottom, and from there to move on to some other
> > > manuals - eg the PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference. The
> > > documentation is freely available athttp://tahiti.oracle.com/
>
> > > 4) A great resource to search for ishttp://asktom.oracle.com/
> > > eghttp://asktom.oracle.com/tkyte/ResultSets/index.html
>
> > > Hope it helps. Have a very nice day
>
> > > --- Raoul- Hide quoted text -

> > Please allow me to explain to you the division between the various
> > groups in comp.databases.oracle
>
> > .server is geared at the RDBMS, and SQL
> > .tools is geared at Oracle frontends
> > .misc is geared at all non-Oracle products interfacing to Oracle.
> > .marketplace is for spam ;)
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Dear sybrandb,
>
> I had hoped to help the group and avoid the OP a flame
> with the information above... I am sorry if it is incorrect,
> and I thank you for the clarifications.
>
> However, note that the information I provided come from
> the charters of c.d.o.misc and c.d.o.server :
>
> CHARTER: comp.databases.oracle.server
>
> Comp.databases.oracle.server is a newsgroup to discuss Oracle server
> and database administration subjects. Any topic which is especially
> of
> interest to those performing database or system administration duties
> is welcome in this group.
>
> CHARTER: comp.databases.oracle.misc
>
> Comp.databases.oracle.misc is a news group where topics generally
> related
> to the use of software from Oracle Corporation may be posted. This
> group
> provides a forum for topics which do not fall within any of the more
> specific
> comp.databases.oracle subgroups.
>
> Sources :
>
> http://orafaq.com/usenet/charter1.htm
> http://orafaq.com/usenet/charter3.htm
>
> May I know where exactly I messed up ?
>
> Thanks
>
> --- Raoul- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure. I don't recall this is the original distinction, and I don't agree with the Orafaq definition. I'm positive comp.databases.oracle wasn't renamed to comp.databases.oracle.misc, in fact it existed until last year.
So I am afraid the moderator of orafaq made something up, and one would need to go back to the original ballot, to confirm the distinction which was made at that time. On average however, I have a very good memory, so I'm positive I am correct.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA