Re: Another oracle resource goes down the drain

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2007 11:48:29 -0700

On Apr 5, 10:22 am, michaelnorb..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Kevin Closson posts daily on oracle-l.
> Was it necessary for the personal attack on Steve Adams?
> I remember reading your name on Tom Kyte's blog about oracle-l and the
> quality of the people that post there. Your name on that blog meant
> that you were a valued member of the oracle community.
> Don't you think your actions take away from your oracle reputation?

I get the oracle-l digest daily, the only reason I don't keep up with it is because the email-type of formatting is just a pain to read. I don't think it is as bad as Mladen says, but I can certainly understand his PC criticisms. I don't know about other parts of the world, but where I am I can't help but take a dim view of anyone who proselytizes in technical fora even if just in a .sig file. This is simply because I have been exposed personally to too many nutcases (including losing relatives to cults - and hey, I'm in California!). I make an effort not to put down people for their beliefs, since the relation between those people and the nutcases probably doesn't exist other than in name, though it can be hard (especially after seeing that South Park about Easter :-) .

And as for Mladen's comment about blogs - just because there are a few good ones doesn't mean there aren't any bad ones and many overlyderivative  ones. Aggregators put them all together, so how would one evaluate or keep up the quality? And as we've recently seen, a bit too much passion can blow them off without warning, perhaps much worse than typical usenet flamewars.

Mladen, as I've said before, _I_ think you are funny as hell, but you need to remember this medium has issues with the lack of cues regarding emotional expression. I hope you stick around, and make some attempt not to be too cruel (at least publicly). We all want to keep the quality up, but we don't want to exclude newbies, either. Of course people will ask silly FAQ's over and over again, we can just point them at the answers. Some _will_ grow into professionals. Of course people will give stupid advice, the power of this medium is it's self-correcting capability. Please don't depower it by scaring off the clued with the clueless.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/show/display_episode.php?season=11&id1=1105&id2=162