Re: RMAN level 0 complains it can't find archivelogs

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Mar 2007 04:26:34 -0700

On Mar 27, 12:43 pm, "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol1..._at_virgin.net> wrote:
> I'm putting together an RMAN strategy on 10g under Linux, temporarily
> doing everything to disk while we prove the principles. I want to re-
> start a fresh cycle of backups with a brand new full backup (10.2 on
> Linux). I scheduled a full backup from EM checking the "Use as the
> base of an incremental backup strategy" box and it generated the
> following command:
>
> backup incremental level 0 cumulative device type disk tag ...
>
> The job failed because a week-old archive log is no longer on disk
> (we'd had several successful incrementals since then), which surprised
> me given the box I'd checked. What do I have to do differently so it
> will just start with a clean slate and not try to find archivelogs?
> Why does EM generate the keyword "cumulative"? - it seems redundant
> in the context of a level 0... ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

either a cold backup or an alter database open resetlogs, I am afraid. Your current archivelogs are in your controlfile,and if you don't back them up and delete them using RMAN, this error is inevitable. Usually one would add 'skip inaccessible' to a backup archivelog command, but this limits the recoverability of the database.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA