Re: RMAN level 0 complains it can't find archivelogs

From: Andy Kent <andykent.bristol1095_at_virgin.net>
Date: 27 Mar 2007 04:56:02 -0700

On Mar 27, 12:26 pm, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 27, 12:43 pm, "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol1..._at_virgin.net>
> wrote:
>

> > I'm putting together an RMAN strategy on 10g under Linux, temporarily
> > doing everything to disk while we prove the principles. I want to re-
> > start a fresh cycle of backups with a brand new full backup (10.2 on
> > Linux). I scheduled a full backup from EM checking the "Use as the
> > base of an incremental backup strategy" box and it generated the
> > following command:
>
> > backup incremental level 0 cumulative device type disk tag ...
>
> > The job failed because a week-old archive log is no longer on disk
> > (we'd had several successful incrementals since then), which surprised
> > me given the box I'd checked. What do I have to do differently so it
> > will just start with a clean slate and not try to find archivelogs?
> > Why does EM generate the keyword "cumulative"? - it seems redundant
> > in the context of a level 0... ?
>
> > Thanks

Is there some way that can be circumvented with CROSSCHECK / DELETE EXPIRED or similar, or is the reference to the logs outside the scope of RMAN? I've implemented a recovery catalog since the missing archivelogs were created, don't know if that makes a difference.

To save me doing a lengthy manual trawl (I know, I know, but the first hits I got don't say much), can you tell me: is alter database open resetlogs part of a more complex procedure or do I simply issue that statement?

Thanks

Andy