Re: Copying archivelogs every ten minutes

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: 16 Mar 2007 06:55:39 -0700

On Mar 16, 8:17 am, "sybrandb" <> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 1:02 pm, "chris b" <> wrote:
> > Oracle 10g enterprise rac on windows using ASM
> > I am looking to set up a scheduled job that loads archivelog copies
> > into a directory every ten minutes.
> > , the contents of this directory will then be shipped to another
> > server for disaster recovery purposes
> > Is there a way I can do this that means that I capture all logs
> > without duplicating , so that I end up with a directory that has all
> > archivelogs produced.
> > I was thinking of the backup as copy archivelog since syntax
> > regards
> > Chris B
> Rather than implementing this Mickey Mouse method, why don't you set
> up a standby database?
> Your 'procedure' will fail sooner or later, and you will have no
> control over it.
> If you don't use automatic recovery on the Standby database, you have
> *exactly* what you describe above.
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

If you do not have the money for the license fee for a Standy database then there are several methods for providing the diaster recovery.

If the other server is not physically offsite then I think the following is superior to useing a second server to hold the backups. First get a UPS and use RAID-1 + 0 for the database datafiles then direct the backups and archived redo logs to a RAID-5 device. With 10g the archived redo logs are written to the database flashback directory along with the rman backups by default so place the / flashback area on separte physical disk. Use RAID-1 + 0 if you can or RAID-5. Use rman to backup the backup including the archived redo logs and send that data offsite.

Unless the other server is physically off-site I would go for a robust disk solution using redundant disk and backup power supplies over copying files back and forth around servers.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Mar 16 2007 - 08:55:39 CDT

Original text of this message