Re: Copying archivelogs every ten minutes

From: chris b <chris.brown_at_providenthims.co.uk>
Date: 28 Mar 2007 02:17:12 -0700

On Mar 16, 2:55 pm, "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 8:17 am, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 16, 1:02 pm, "chris b" <chris.br..._at_providenthims.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Oracle 10g enterprise rac on windows using ASM
>
> > > I am looking to set up a scheduled job that loads archivelog copies
> > > into a directory every ten minutes.
> > > , the contents of this directory will then be shipped to another
> > > server for disaster recovery purposes
>
> > > Is there a way I can do this that means that I capture all logs
> > > without duplicating , so that I end up with a directory that has all
> > > archivelogs produced.
>
> > > I was thinking of the backup as copy archivelog since syntax
>
> > > regards
> > > Chris B
>
> > Rather than implementing this Mickey Mouse method, why don't you set
> > up a standby database?
> > Your 'procedure' will fail sooner or later, and you will have no
> > control over it.
> > If you don't use automatic recovery on the Standby database, you have
> > *exactly* what you describe above.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> If you do not have the money for the license fee for a Standy database
> then there are several methods for providing the diaster recovery.
>
> If the other server is not physically offsite then I think the
> following is superior to useing a second server to hold the backups.
> First get a UPS and use RAID-1 + 0 for the database datafiles then
> direct the backups and archived redo logs to a RAID-5 device. With
> 10g the archived redo logs are written to the database flashback
> directory along with the rman backups by default so place the /
> flashback area on separte physical disk. Use RAID-1 + 0 if you can or
> RAID-5. Use rman to backup the backup including the archived redo
> logs and send that data offsite.
>
> Unless the other server is physically off-site I would go for a robust
> disk solution using redundant disk and backup power supplies over
> copying files back and forth around servers.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --- Hide quoted text -

HI Mark

Thankyou for your constructive reply

Because this is a RAC implementation with three instances I am not using flash recovery feature

So my problem relates to getting the archivelogs from an ASM instance into an ordinary windows directory ./ so that they can be shipped to another server

Apologies in advance if I have not described my problem clearly

regards
Chris B Received on Wed Mar 28 2007 - 04:17:12 CDT